Hey lovely~ Today i’m gonna talk about my Cekodok Pisang, is a traditional Malays deep fried dough-balls, or fritters snack in Malaysia. Besides Malaysia, our neighborhood Singapore and Brunei too have this fritter snack. It’s made out of flour, then use your hand shaped it into round shape and deep fried it till golden brown. They have variety of flavor but the most common one is the Banana. And Cekodok is also called (Jemput-jemput or Cucur).
I’ve been introduced to cekodok by my late Grandma, I still remember it was during my primary school days (dank…I really missed her so much). Every afternoon, a mid age lady will set up a Kuih stall-stand nearby by house. “Kuih” simply means (Cakes, pastries or any sweet dessert in Malaysian language). I remember i was finishing up my homework, grandma ask me if i want to accompany her for a walk around our neighborhood area. I said yes, sure. While walking, we stopped by the “Kuih” stall, grandma bought some sweet treats back for us all. And she asked me if i want to try the cekodok pisang(banana fritters)? Cause I love banana, so i say yes i would love to give it a try. And that sweet lady gave me one for tasting, i felt in-love with it immediately, and ask my grandma to get few more for me.
Here we go, day goes by. The older i get, more i involve myself in cooking and baking. Even if i’m busy with work or study, nothing will keep me away from the kitchen. Is like my distress area that will calm and soothe my soul. It happen that today i’m craving for cekodok pisang. I’m going to list down the recipe below and hope you do enjoy this delicious Malaysian “snack” fritters.
Cekodok Pisang (Banana Fritters)Print This
- 8 Pisang emas (sugar banana or lady finger banana) or you can use any banana that sweet enough.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (add in more if the batter to watery, we don't want any runny batter, just enough sticky)
- Half tsp of Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Castor sugar
- Half tsp Salt
- Condensed Milk (optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel all the banana skin off .
- Take a big bowl, put in the bananas, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix and mash it with a fork.
- Sieve the flour into the banana bowl. Give it a good mix till well combined.
- Let it set for 20-30min
- Heat up some hot oil for deep frying. In medium heat.
- Wash your hand clean. Now you need to wet your hand a little, grab some batter and pinch it into a round shape and let it drop into the hot oil, make sure do it slowly. If you don’t feel like using your hand, then use a small scoop and scoop the batter then slowly drop it into the hot oil. Usually the size of this fritters is around 1 inch round.
- Deep fry it till golden brown.
- Serve it hot and drizzle some condensed milk around
* Using hand to squeeze and pinch the batter out is just a old tradition way. * This fritters goes well with Red Tea ,Milk Tea or Chai