The punjabi name for this dish is called ‘Chole’ and is a great side dish to pair with any kinds of flatbread, including Chapati.
How to Make Chickpea GravyPrint This
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas (soak overnight) / canned chickpeas can be used if you can't get dried chickpeas (remember to drain the water inside)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 2 tbs of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of Amchoor powder (dried mango powder)
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 2 pcs of black cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp of pepper corns
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of Garam Masala
- INGREDIENTS FOR GRAVY
- 1 whole black cardamom
- 2 pcs of bay leaf
- 1 large red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 pcs of tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 2 pcs of green chilli (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbs ghee (you can use any types of oil that you prefer)
Method for dry ingredients
- Saute the dry ingredients in medium heat for 1-2 mins.
- Remove from pan and let it cool. Use a blender to grind them once cool and put aside.
Method for the Gravy:-
- Heat up the pan with ghee. Add green chillies, ginger and bay leaf – saute it for a few seconds
- Add in the chopped onion and saute till it’s transparent.
- Add red chilli powder, salt and mix well.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until it’s soft and till the oil separates.
- Add in the dry ingredients that was kept aside and mix well.
- Add the chickpeas that has been soaked overnight. Mix it well.
- Cook it in medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Put in 1 cup of water and salt to taste.
- You can keep adding in water consequently, let it boil for 8-10 minutes until you get a thick gravy-like consistency. To know that your gravy has been cooked properly, you should take note of the oil separating on the surface.
- Garnish it with coriander.
And that's it, you're done! You can eat it as a side with Chapati. Do try the recipe and let us know how you fare. If you have any questions on the method, feel free to reach out and contact us.