Haha, come let me break some ongoing misunderstanding in Malaysia/Asia as far as I have encountered. It’s about our Carbonara’s served in most local cafes here and about. We serve the spaghetti’s in thick cream and cheese sauce, with mushrooms and vegetables. To be fair, I have been to the country where it have originated from, and found them to be a completely different thing, taste and texture wise. Observing them, I did my own research way ahead. Yes, it runs far from the real, original, authentic and traditional version of it. In here, the image we have in our mind is that Carbonara is served in a creamy,cheese sauce which runs far from the originals. The traditional ones are made out of fresh eggs, Pecorino Romano (cheese made out of cheese milk), Pancetta and Pepper (which I would try posting up when I get my ingredients here 😉). Sometimes I wonder,that is it because of the high market value of the ingredients that causes cafe owners to adapt the original recipe to something that we can find here easily? Maybe? I have to digress at times as they too pose a hefty price on their adapted version. Meanwhile, do indulge in my creamy macaroni served with pan seared scallop.
How To Make Creamy Macaroni with Pan Seared ScallopsPrint This
- 400 grams of Macaroni ( cooked in boiling water and salt till al dente (9-10 minutes) - remove from water and set aside)
- 1 big Yellow Onion (chopped or sliced thinly- according to your preference, I sliced mine)
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 2 cloves of Garlic (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 cup of Heavy Cream
- 300g Cream Cheese
- Vegetable/ Chicken stock powder
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 8 Big Scallops ( seasoned with a good pinch of salt and pepper)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 6 tbsp/ 85 gram grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat up a pan under medium flame, pour in the oil and let it get hot.
- Saute the onions and rosemary together till the onion caramelizes.
- Add in the garlic and oregano and fry it for few seconds.
- Next, add in the heavy cream and cream cheese- combine well till everything is evenly mixed.
- Add in the vegetable or chicken stock powder, cook till it starts to bubble. ( You can always add a little water if you find it too runny.)
- Turn off the heat, and add in the macaroni and stir till its well mixed for 1-2 minutes. Set aside. ( If you are serving this ASAP, try plating for four soon.)
- Heat the pan on high flame. Add in the Olive oil, followed by the butter.
- Sear the seasoned scallops, under the high heat for 1 1/2 minute each side. ( Pan fry the scallops, 4 at a time to prevent the scallops from getting steamed instead of seared. Always sear the scallops right before serving)
- Plate the macaroni equally on four plates. Top each with two scallops, sprinkle in the chopped scallions and the grated Parmesan.
Remember guys to Cook, Snap the picture of the finished product of the recipe that you tried from us, and post it in Instagram with the hashtag #noshandgrub. We will Re-Post it and give you a shout out!