This is one of my favorite dish of all time after watching a few cooking channels those who use cucumber as noodles. Since then, It has become my weekly favorite to make. For a healthy version, I must say.
Last week I have homemade my own salted egg by using duck egg and coated it with a thick layer of salted charcoal for 20 days. I’m happy that the salted egg turns out beautifully. Living in a multicultural family, especially with an Asian blood in me, the salted egg is like everything. From tapioca chips, squid, butter prawns, salted egg kaya, steamed meat, congee and so on. One of my favorites is the Stir-Fried Bitter Gourd with Chinese Salted Eggs.
My mom got us, family, some fresh prawns back from the market. Asking me any idea what to cook for dinner tonight? At the back of my head, I wanted to make some cucumber noodles, and I know they don’t like cucumber… haha! And Mom asks me to make use of the salted egg that I make. So I have been thinking why not just cook up some salted egg prawn then. And used up the palm milk that I got from the market. Usually other will use cooking cream or normal milk to make this, but I decided to use palm milk, it tastes delicious and healthy. It brings up the thickness and flavor without concerning about the cholesterol. Oh, so mom and the rest of the family with be having rice with the salted egg prawn, and I will be having it with the Japanese cucumber noodle. Yes, you can use zucchini if you want, even better. Just that I want to use up the last cucumber I have in the refrigerator.
So, let us get cooking
- 2x Japanese Cucumber (or you can use Zucchini)
- 20x prawns (Deshelled & Clean it)
- 1nos Chicken egg.
- Sea salt & pepper for the egg coating.
- Almond Flour (enough for coating the Prawns. Or you can use any flour you desire).
- Oil for deep fry the Prawns
- 160ml Khalis Satan Sawit (palm milk)
- 3nos Salted egg yolk
- 3-4 Bird Eye Chili
- 4 Garlic, chopped
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Mushroom seasoning powder (you can use any seasoning powder or salt).
- 50gm Butter
- Wash & cut the cucumber into stripes, if you have a Spiral Slicer it would much easier to turn it into Noodle string.
- After slicing, put it in a bowl with a half tablespoon of salt, and coat it well and put aside.
- Prepare the oil for deep frying.
- Crack the whole chicken egg in a bowl, add in the sea salt & pepper and mix well.
- Coat the prawns one by one in the egg mixture, and then into the almond flour till well coated. And deep fry it till slightly golden brown.
- Then the Prawns set aside.
Moving on to the sauce
-Blend the palm milk & salted egg yolks together. (I’m using Khalis Palm Milk
-Get your hot pan ready, medium-low heat. Not too hot cause you might burn the sauce. Pour in the blended palm milk yolks into the medium-low heat pan. Slowly stir it for a minute.
-Then add in butter, chopped garlic & birds eye chili and stir it till well combined.
-Keep stirring the sauce till it slightly simmers. So that the sauce won’t get burn underneath.
-Once simmering, switch off the stove, put in the deep fried prawns and mixed it well.
-Slightly wash & drained off the cucumber noodles. And start plating it up.