My eggplants were sitting solemnly in the fridge for quite sometime, waiting for the day they come out of the cold, wet place, and being warmed up by the heat of the stove and flavoured by spices and salt. I was reserving them in the beginning for some fish curry, but since I have been nowhere near a fishmonger in the recent time period, I have to have to use them a.s.a.p. Old age is definitely chasing behind me and my eggplants. 😂
Slowly loosing its flavour over the time period that my eggplants had been sentenced to inside the icy jail, I decided to fry them up. Flavouring this gorgeous round and purple vegetable with some Garam Masala, turning the heat up slightly and adding another dimension to its flavour with turmeric. But having just fried the eggplant isn’t going to serve well among my rice platter, since it will be dry. I remembered the day how my Indian turned this fried eggplant in to something that accompanies her dhall curry deliciously along with raw radish salad with coconut milk (recipe for some other day). She mixed the fried brinjal with green chilies and onions and dressed it up with white vinegar.
I decided to twist my friend’s recipe and turn her dish into a salsa. I want to make it versatile so that I can have this not only with my rice but inside my tacos or bread along with a slice of my favourite cheese and fluffly golden egg omelette. On another note fill it up inside the omelette, or top it with your favourite pasta.
How To Make Eggplant SalsaPrint This
- 2 medium round Eggplants/Brinjals/Aubergines- diced small ( adds 1 tsp of salt into the diced Eggplant and fill the bowl till it cover the Eggplant and leave for a minute before rinsing and squeezing the eggplant dry to remove excess water. This method is done to remove the bitterness. )
- 1 large Ripe Tomato- diced finely
- 4 small Onions - diced finely
- 2 Green Chilies - seeded and diced finely
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Calamansies or 2 tbsp of White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Oil to deep fry the Eggplant
- In a bowl, mix in the diced, washed and dried eggplant with the turmeric powder, garam masala, and salt. Coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the eggplants till it lightly browned and crispy.
- Remove and set it aside on a plate layered with paper towel to remove the excess oil. Let it cool until it reaches room temperature.
- After the fried eggplant is cooled, add in the diced tomato,green chilies and onions.
- Squeeze in the juice of two calamansies and mix till everything is well combined.
- Stir in the brown sugar and sesame oil lastly.
Remember guys to Cook, Snap the picture of the finished product of the recipe that you tried from us, and post it in Instagram with the hashtag #noshandgrub. We will Re-Post it and give you a shout out!