Just tried flexing my baking muscles with this Japanese Cheesecake. I opted to add some lemon juice and lemon zest to give the extra zing, plus to cut through the richness of the cheese, milk and butter. Hope you guys have tons of fun trying it just like I did.
Remember to try and snap a picture of your baked good and post it up on instagram under #noshandgrub for us to repost and give you guys a shout out.
Smells so good already on the post, why not give it a try?
How To Make Japanese Lemon CheesecakePrint This
- 250g Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp Lemon
- 1 Lemon - juiced
- 6 Egg Yolks (from large eggs)
- 70 g Sugar
- 60 g Unsalted Butter
- 20 g Corn Starch
- 100 ml Full Cream Milk
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- For the Meringue
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 70 g Castor Sugar
- Preheat the oven, top and bottom at 200 degree Celcius.
- Line a parchment paper in a 8″ by 3″ baking pan or grease it with butter.
- Whisk up the cream cheese in a bowl over a hot pot of water until it turns smooth.
- Add in the egg yolks into the cheese and continue whisking.
- Add in the 70g of sugar and whisk till the sugar is well combined.
- Warm up gently the milk and butt2wr together and add it into the cheese batter.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest and salt into the cheese mixture.
- Remove the bowl of cheese batter from the water bath.
- Sift in the flour and corn starch into the cheese batter and fold in gently.
- Fold in the Meringue mixture (look below for its instruction) into the cheese batter in small amount.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and tap on the table to release any excess air bubbles.
- In a bigger tray pan than the cake’s fill in with warm water and place the cake pan in.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 minutes at 200 degree Celsius using the bottom most rack.
- Then reduce the temperature of the oven to 140 degree Celsius and bake for 30 minutes.
- After the first 30 minutes, turn off the heat and leave in the oven for 30 minutes without opening.
- Next, remove the water bath from the oven and leave the cake rest inside the oven for further 30 minutes. With the oven door slightly opened.
For The Meringue Mixture
- Using low speed, whisk the egg whites till it turn foamy.
- Add in the cream of tartar and use high speed to whisk the mixture till only very few air bubbles left.
- Next, add in the sugar gradually and beat it till it forms a soft peak.