This is a very nostalgic dish, as my late father used to prepare this for me every time the cravings kicks in, along with Garbanzo Curry and Grilled Shrimps. Satiating and indulgent, the rice is packed with a burst of flavour, the sourness from the lime enhances the flavour of the rice, balancing between the chicken broth and chili and cumin seeds. In my version, I have added tomatoes this time to intensify the taste buds, adding another dimension of flavour to the dish. I cooked this rice impromptu, without much thought given. Quickly grabbed some cilantro and tomatoes in my refrigerator and plucked the limes from my Kitchen Garden. Within few minutes, the rice is done. Well, most of the cooking done by the rice cooker, enough time to prepare another dish to accompany it. 😉
How To Make Mexican Tomato Lime RicePrint This
- 2 cups of Long Grained Brown Rice -washed
- 2 cups Chicken Broth ( other options: Vegetable Broth)
- 2 Tomatoes -coarsely copped
- 1 medium sized Red Onion -coarsely chopped
- 1 Lime - juiced ( if you love the extra kick from the sourness, squeeze out another lime in)
- 1-2 Red Chili -sliced
- 3 cloves of Garlic -smashed using the flat part of the knife
- A pinch of Sea Salt (normal table salt would do too)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 4 Tbsp of Cilantro/Coriander -chopped.
- Few Cilantro Leaves for garnish (optional)
- Lime slices for garnish (optional)
- Blend the coarsely chopped tomatoes and red onion together in the blender or a food processor till it turns into a puree, and set it aside.
- Heat up a pan over medium high heat, and add the cooking oil.
- Add in the brown rice when the oil has heated up as well, and fry till it turns slightly into a golden brown colour. Turn off the fire and transfer it into a rice cooker.
- Using the same pan with a low heat, pour in the pureed tomato and onion, saute’ till it sizzles and bubbles up.
- Stir in the chicken broth gently and add the salt now.
- Keep stirring till it comes to boil.
- Turn off the fire, and pour the mixture into the rice cooker with the fried uncooked rice.
- Into the rice cooker, add in the cumin seeds, sliced chili and smashed garlic cloves.
- Give the whole mixture a stir before switching on the rice cooker.
- Right after rice has cooked, stir in the lime juice and chopped cilantro till its evenly mixed.
- Our pipping hot Mexican Tomato Lime Rice is ready to be garnished with lime slices and cilantro leaves, or skip the garnish and gobble them up ASAP with your choice of side dishes.