Burnt Pie, how does it even happen?
This is one of the day I dearly miss my late father, the man that used to burn merrily many of the pot pie due to him was too focus on his football and forget that something is cooking at the back of the kitchen. Haha~ Back to the old days, me and my dad always love to have that cook along momento, pot pie is one of his comfort food. Chicken pot pie definitely. As for me I rarely eat red meat or poultry, but I’m a seafood eater. Comes to pot pie either I will use prawn or crab meat in it.
My Grand Aunt, she makes a really good pie to be honest. And this pie crust is more like a biscuit or scone texture instead of the flaky pie dough. I’ll say both types are delicious. I suppose to make a video how to cook it, but ended up only using Instagram Story. Below is a short video that I took it from my Insta Story, I will be showing the mini prawns part, cause many will be questioning how mini it can be? Haha~
Hope you lovely people give it a try and let me know how was it.
Mini Shrimp Pot PiePrint This
- half cup of oil
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4-5 tbsp water
- 300gm Mini shrimp (you can use any size of shrimp)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 or 2 Carrot, diced cube (prox 1 cup diced carrot)
- 2 red onions, chopped (you can use yellow onion, I did not use it cause I'm out of yellow onion)
- half cup Green Pea
- half cup sweet corn
- 2 cups broccoli, prox 1 head of broccoli
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- half strand fresh Rosemary (optional)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 200ml Cooking Cream
- 200ml Vegetable Broth ( you can sub to chicken broth)
- Few dashes of black pepper
- 1 Egg for the egg wash
Take a clean bowl, sieve the flour, add in salt, try to use fine salt if can. Then add in half cup oil. slowly knead it till the flour and oil well mixed. And put aside cover it with a clean cloth. And put it in the fridge.
- Heat up a pot or a pan with olive oil in medium heat.
- Add in Onion, carrot, green peas, corn, and broccoli. At this point, if you think the olive oil is too little, you can add in more a little bit. Sauteed it till all the veg is slightly soft, then add in the Italian herb and prawns, sauteed it for another few minutes till fragrance.
- Add in few tablespoons of flour, stir it till all the vegetable is coated with the flour, by doing this is to make the sauce thicker.
- Then add in the broth little by a little while stirring it so that it won’t go lumpy. Stir it for a minute or two
- Add in the Cooking cream, rosemary, and black pepper, slowly stir it till slightly simmer.
- Once cooking is done, get 2 Medium size bowl, or any size bowl you have and divide it, pour in the filling into the bowl, make sure your bowl is an oven-safe bowl. Preheat the oven 180 for 10 min.
- Take out the pastry dough out from the fridge, put it on a parchment paper and roll it out roughly like the size of your bowl. Place it on the top of the fillings.
- Pop in the goodness pot pie in the oven for another 30 min. depend on your bowl size, and always keep an eye on your pie crust till its golden brown.
- Beat up an egg for egg wash, brush it on top of the pie, and sprinkle some Italian herbs on top at the last 10 min before the pie is ready.
1. You can use white or yellow onion instead of red. 2. You can use medium size prawns instead of small. 3. You can use butter squash instead of pumpkin, cause squash is hard to get in Malaysia. 4. Yes, you can use butter instead of oil for the pastry dough. 5. Adding mushroom can be delish too