While waiting for my Mexican Tomato Lime Rice to cook, I proceed with my Prawn Fajita! Next best option for me substituting my late dad’s Grilled Shrimps. I’ll have the extra 20 minutes while the rice cooks, so that I can prep the vegetables and prawn in time and send them in to the oven.
Meanwhile get to the bottom line on how Fajitas came about , p/s: a very brief one. I for once mistaken it to be a purely Mexican dish, till I did some research. It is a Tex- Mex meal, which means that it was originated in Texas, America by the Mexican, and not by choice. The Mexican cowboys (Vaquero) back then were paid with skirt meats, hide, ofals, heads and entrails for their services to the ranchers. Fajita was one of those meals, where they use whatever they have to have a decent meal. It slowly gained popularity in the 70s, where the word Fajita was first coined. Cooked over campfire or grill and served in soft tacos along with rice.
I’m dropping out the taco shell today for the fajita, and serve ’em with my rice.
Pair it up with Mexican Tomato Lime Rice , both goes excellently well together. It gives you a complete lip-smacking dinner, I can ensure that you wouldn’t leave a single grain of rice behind.
How To Make Prawn FajitaPrint This
- 30 Green Prawns, -cleaned, shelled and deveined.
- 1/2 tsp of Black pepper
- 1 medium sized Yellow Capsicum -sliced lengthwise.
- 1 medium size Red Capsicum -sliced lengthwise.
- 1 medium sized Zucchini, - sliced crosswise.
- 1 medium sized Red Onion, julienned.
- 1 medium Size White Onion, julienned.
- 3 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Russet Potatoes, skinned and cubed into big size.
- 2 1/2 tbsp Mustard Honey & Herb Sauce. ( if you do not have this, mix 1 tbsp of Mustard with 2 tbsp of Honey and 1 tsp dried mixed herbs and reserve 2 tsp for the prawns)
- 2 tsp Mustard Honey & Herb Sauce, for marinating the prawns
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 nos Lime
- 1 handful of Cilantro, chopped
- Marinate the peeled prawns with black-pepper and two tsp of mustard honey & herb sauce. Pop the prawns in to the fridge. (If you do not have the mustard honey & herb sauce or dislike the taste altogether, try marinating the prawns with paprika, pepper and salt instead.)
- Boil the potatoes till it is cooked through softly.
- Pre-heat the oven for 10 min at 200 degree Celsius/392 degree Fahrenheit .
- On a roasting tray or pan, lay in the capsicums, zucchinis, red & white onions, chopped garlic, and potatoes.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil, mustard honey & herb sauce and all the spice powders. Give it a good mix and spread it widely and evenly across.
- Lay down the refrigerated prawns on top the vegetables.
- Pop the tray into the oven for 15 min to 20 min. If they have not turned into golden brown, just add in an extra minute .
- Once done, squeeze in the juice from one lime, and sprinkle the chopped cilantro all over the top.
Remember guys to Cook, Snap the picture of the finished product of the recipe that you tried from us, and post it in Instagram with the hashtag #noshandgrub. We will Re-Post it and give you a shout out!