Never thought of using Soybeans to make curry. In my kitchen, i will always buy and keep different kind of grains, nuts or beans. I usually use soybeans for my home made soy milk or turn it into snack like a roasted peanut. No, not eating it like that… 😅 I’ll soak the soybeans for hours, pad it dry and slightly roast it with some seasoning and cayenne pepper cause i like it HOT!!!
And it happen that I was craving for curry, too often i always cook the same thing most of the time. So i was thinking is there anyone cook soybeans curry before? Did some research but turn out to be very few using soybeans for making curry. So i decided to give it a go. Soybean curry, why not!!!😉
Soy Beans CurryPrint This
- 250gm Soybean ( soaked overnight)
- 2x tube Silken Egg Tofu (cut it into cube)
- 1 large Tomato (cut cube)
- 3-4 Cloves garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 Red onion ( slice it) or you can chopped it
- 4 Green chillies (slightly use a sharp knife slit the chilli in the middle)
- 2 Bayleaf
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Kitchen king masala (optional)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Half tsp Coriander powder
- 1 nos Egg (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 3-4tbsp oil for cooking (you can use ghee if you like)
- Coriander for Garnish
- Wash and rinse the soybeans, cook the soybeans in a pressure cooker with water cover the beans up. If you do not have pressure cooker, you can use a pot and boil it.
- Garlic & ginger turn it into paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan or pot over a medium heat. The best if you could use oil mix with ghee, taste better.
- Add in the cumin seeds, cook it for few second until the cumin seeds splutter. Don’t burn the seeds.
- Add in the garlic ginger paste, red onion, green chilli & bayleaf, slowly stir fry it until the onions is translucent. Then add in the tomatoes cook till it slightly soft.
- Gather all the spice powder, kitchen king,garam masala, chili powder & turmeric in a small bowl, add in some water and make it into paste. And quickly add it into the pan and cook it till all well combined for 1 or 2 minute.
- Now add the soybeans in, and add some water till cover up the beans. give it a good stir ,add salt and let it simmer and cook through for 20 to 30 min. The last 5 min you can add in the tofu and crack the egg in it, and give it another good stir. If you want it to be more gravier or it is too thick for you, just add more water.
- Chop some coriander and stir it in the soybean curry. Or you want to use just for garnish according to your own prefferences.
You can add some mushroom seasoning powder in it or any seasoning you love. It will brings out the flavour more. Soybean bean can be very hard to be soften, most of the time it will have a slightly nutty crunch in it. Unless you want it to be more soft, you need to pressure cook it for many hours.