Saag is a type of dish mainly made with green, leafy vegetables. Commonly in Saag recipes Mustard Greens and Spinach are used, but I have opted to use Chinese Kale and Spinach instead.
Goes well with Chapati , Makki Roti or any kind of flat bread.
How To Make SaagPrint This
- 1kg of Spinach
- 500g of Chinese Kale (Kailan)
- 4 pcs of Green Chilies
- 3 inches of Ginger (chopped)
- 3 cloves of Garlic (sliced)
- 1tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1tsp Coriander Powder
- 1tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 Asafoetida
- 3tbs of Ghee (you can substitute it with any butter of your choice)
- Salt to taste
- First remove the hard stems before washing and rinsing the spinach and Chinese Kale.
- Boil it in hot water for 1 to 2 minutes, remove the greens from the pot and transfer it into a bowl of cold water and rinse it .
- Take both the spinach and Chinese Kale and place it in a blender and blend it coarsely. (Add a bit of water if needed ).
- Heat up the pan in medium heat with ghee, saute ginger and red onion for 2 to 3 min still slightly brown.
- Then add in the green chilies, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder, garam masala and asafoetida stir it well for half a minute till fragrant.
- Add in the blended spinach and Chinese Kale. Stir till it’s well cooked for 30 minutes (you always have to keep stirring after adding the spinach and Chinese Kale so it won’t get burned at the bottom- even a slight burn might throw the taste off).
- Add salt to taste lastly and remove from heat.
Alas! You can serve it together with chapati or flat bread. Scroll back to the top of the page to get to the Chapati recipe and enjoy cooking!